I am starting something new. From this blog forward I will offer a prayer regarding the subject of the blog. I am also soliciting any recommendations or suggestion you have that will help strenthen the message for the good of God's people. I would love to hear from you.
Some of you may think this word is not for me but, most of us at one time or another have and will speak negative words against others. Right? I was spiritually put in check this morning. Yep, God put me in check! Forget epiphany he shut me down this morning.
The first scripture He revealed to me was, James 3:1 Those who deliver the word will be judged more harshly. I am not claiming to be a prophet, evangelist, or pastor but God is using me to share his word that he revealed to me. God let me know, that he is holding us to a higher standard. That was the first check and I felt an *ouch*.
Next, James 3:4 take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. Wooooooow *in my flavor flav voice :-)* my tongue has that much power.When I think back, there are many times I wish I had kept my big mouth shut...shaking my head. I know I'm not the only one who can reflect back on asituations and say if I had just kept my big my shut that wouldn't have gone down that way. Then, there are times we have said, if I had only said what I was thinking not realizing it was the right thing to not speak. Second spiritual check. This isn't for you either huh? Please keep reading.
In James 3:13 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. If the first two checks did not get your attention, this one should!(LOL) Let me put it this way, would you rinse your mouth with toilet water? Fresh water and salt water can't come from the same spring. So why are blessings and cursings coming from the same tongue. No need to go any further I think you've got where I am going with this. Third spiritual check. Not enough, ok one more.
We are a work in progress. God knows that none of us are perfect. He doesn't expect us to be perfect but, he does expect us to follow his word and work toward perfection. This is why God looks at our hearts, our intentions and our motives. Luke 6:45 A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. We need to always think before we speak. I remember as a child reciting the following,"sticks and stones may break my bones but Words will never hurt me". That is the biggest lie ever told. We have all been in situations where people have said things to us or we have said things to people that we would like to take back. It is hard to forgive words, because words come from the heart. Fourth spiritual check.
We as human beings will forgive hurtful actions, before we forgive hurtful words. Proverbs 18:21 The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. This goes back to my post yesterday on sowing seeds. Let us begin to sow positive seeds with our tongue. Luke 6:28 Bless those who curse you, Pray for those who mistreat you. Take this verse literally! I never said it was going to be easy. Taking the high road is never easy. I learned all of these things the hard way. I was one who took things into my own hands and itresulted in me digging a bigger ditch for God to pull me out of and it took longer because I was so deep in it.
So let's pray and ask God to hold our tongues in situations where it could bring death (stir up confusion, trouble or cause tension) to a situation. Instead let's find the positive point or area in the situation. We may have to pull out our magnifying glass but believe me it's there :-).
I was listening to a pastor the other day. He said God looks at your heart and the good in you. For example, if you work all the time and don't get to spend much time with your family, you may say I'm not a good parent. But God sees you as a dutiful provider. Remembering in that circumstance, test and trials are temporary. Use your tongue to encourage yourself, as well.
So Let us Pray,
Lord thank you for every person reading this blog today. Father, I thank you that we now realize what a powerful tool we possess in our tongue. Thank you Lord for showing us just how much power our tongues have over the outcome of situations and circumstances that we face in life. We know Lord it starts with us but, Father help us to be mindful of the things that we speak into the atmosphere. Lord cleanse our hearts of negative feelings and our minds of negative thoughts. Give us a renewed mind and spirit Father, in you. I pray every eye that reads this today will take the first step by finding the positive and not the negative in every situation he/she faces. Father, I ask that they reap the harvest of your blessings by being obedient to your word. All of you and none of us Lord is our prayer to you today. In Jesus name, Amen.
Speak life today family. It will be well worth the reward.
Do not forget to show kindness to strangers, for by doing so some have shown kindness to angels without knowing it...Hebrews 13:2
Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment